Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gold Coast, Australia Cystic Fibrosis defies medical opinion

Kate Green and dog Zeena

Kate Green and her good friend, loyal dog Zeena

By Renae Dyer Goldcoast.com.au

GOLD Coast Cystic Fibrosis sufferer Kate Green was told she wouldn't live to the age of 10. She's now 29.

Despite living with the deteriorating disease since birth, the Burleigh Waters resident has survived a double lung transplant in 2007, travelled Europe, juggles three jobs and is about to compete in the 2009 World Transplant Games on the Coast.

She also plans to return to the UK for six months of travel and is saving to buy a house.

"Just because you have this disease doesn't mean you can't live your life and achieve your dreams," says Green.

She tells CoastConfidential her strength comes from her mum and her loyal dog Zeena.

While she was on the waiting list for a lung transplant her mum took 12 months off work to look after her.

"Before my transplant I couldn't move," says Green. "I couldn't even brush my teeth or brush my hair.

"Mum lived off $250 a fortnight on the parent's pension from the government so she could look after me."

Her puppy also never left her side: "When I was sick she would jump on me and wouldn't leave me."

Green is an ambassador for Friday's 65 Roses Day an annual awareness day for Cystic Fibrosis Australia.

"Cystic Fibrosis is a life-long disease. I forever need treatment and will need it for the rest of my life or until they find a cure. That's why I'm encouraging people to donate to research."

“You Have the Power to Save Lives – Sign Your Donor Card & Tell Your Loved Ones of Your Decision”

Register to be a donor in Ontario or Download Donor Cards from Trillium Gift of Life Network
For other Canadian provinces click here

In the United States, be sure to find out how to register in your state at ShareYourLife.org or Download Donor Cards from OrganDonor.Gov

In Great Britain, register at NHS Organ Donor Register

In Australia, register at Australian Organ Donor Register

Your generosity can save up to eight lives with heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, pancreas and small intestine transplants. One tissue donor can help up to 100 other people by donating skin, corneas, bone, tendon, ligaments and heart valves

No comments: