Thursday, September 11, 2008

In memory of 9/11 victims

My post today is to honor the memory of the victims of the horrendous terrorist attacks on America 7 years ago today, September 11th, 2001.

I can only imagine the terror of the people on the planes and in the buildings.

And we must not forget the bravery of the fire, police and other emergency and medical workers, many of whom gave their lives in an effort to save others. There is no greater human act than to lay down one's life to save a fellow human being.

My heart weeps for those whose lives were snuffed out that fateful day and I have deep sympathy for their survivors and the agony they continue to go through.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing that day? It is as vivid in my mind now as it was then. I was at a car dealership getting an oil change. A salesman came running in shouting that the World Trade Center was under attack. I got in my car and drove to a nearby shopping center and went straight to the Sears store where crowds were gathered watching events unfold on the display TV's. I stayed there for hours, staring at the screens in disbelief.

There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think of 9/11 and the evil that lurks in the minds of those who wish to destroy our way of life. Merv.

No comments: