July 11, 2007 - Toronto, ON - Trillium Gift of Life Network (TGLN) is reminding Ontarians that while summer vacation is in full swing - now is the perfect time to learn more about organ and tissue donation, make a decision and TALK ABOUT IT! with their families.
“It’s summer vacation and we want to remind Ontarians to use some of this relaxing time with family to learn more, make a decision and talk to their families about organ and tissue donation,” said Frank Markel, President and CEO of Trillium Gift of Life Network. “Whether you are relaxing at the cottage, or driving in the family car to a fun event, this could be a great time to have a discussion about what your organ and tissue donation wishes are. You and your family need to understand that a decision could save one of the many people on the transplant waiting list in this province. Your decision can save lives.”
Today in Ontario, 1743 patients are on the waiting list. Of those, 1085 are men, 629 are women and 29 of those patients are children.
“The facts are staggering,” said Markel. “TALK ABOUT IT today and make this the summer you remember forever as the summer you made a decision to save lives.”
- Every 3 days someone dies waiting for an organ transplant
- One organ donor can save up to 8 lives and enhance the lives of up to 75 others through tissue donation
- Everyone is a potential organ and tissue donor, regardless of his/her age. To date, the oldest Canadian organ donor was over 90 years of age while the oldest tissue donor was 102 years old
- Even an individual with serious illness can sometimes be an organ or tissue donor
- There are no costs associated with organ or tissue donation
- The organs and tissue that can be donated include: heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, small bowel, stomach, corneas, heart valves, bone and skin
- Most major religions support organ and tissue donation
- Organ and tissue donation does not affect funeral services and you can still have an open casket
- Even if you have signed your organ donation card you need to speak to your family about your wishes
Facts about organ and tissue donation in Ontario include:
For more information on organ and tissue donation or for waiting list numbers in your area please visit Trillium Gift of Life Network website or call 416.363.4001 or toll free 1-800-263-2833.
“You Have the Power to Save Lives – Sign Your Donor Card & Tell Your Loved Ones of Your Decision”