IN THIS ISSUE:
1 – Coming events (see April 14th special noon event)
2 – Patient updates & CarePages
3 – Photo Gallery
1 – COMING EVENTS
• Toronto Support Group meetings – Wednesdays at 11am –
• “WAITING IN HOPE” MONDAYS 11am to 12 Noon in Room NCSB 12C 1202 - "Waiting in Hope" offers a place for patients and/or support persons to gather together and share their experience and how it impacts their sense of spirituality, faith and understanding of life.
Info: Chaplain Ann Vander Berg at ext. 16-5276 or 416-946-4501 ext. 5276
• Kitchener Support Group Meeting Tue., May 3, 2005 7:00PM at the Lions Arena, (corner of Rittenhouse & Block Line Rd.) in Kitchener, ON. (For more info please call Denise Secours at 519 578-0288). Meetings are the 1st Tuesday of every month.
• Brant County Organ Donation Awareness Curling Bonspiel, Sat., April 9, 2005. Info: Rosemary Ebert - Rosemary says entries are filling up fast and you must let her know immediately if you plan to curl. A team consists of 4 players. The Lead, the Second, the Third or the Vice-Skip and the Skip. Every curler plays 2 stones per end. Individual entrants will be assigned to teams when signing in at the bonspiel. Curlers bring their own rubber soled shoes (such as regular curling shoes or running shoes) and the organizers will tape them on the bottom for sliding on the ice. Brooms are provided. Lunch only guests are very welcome but please email Rosemary that you are coming.
• SPECIAL PRESENTATION THURSDAY, APRIL 14, 2005 AT 12 NOON. ACOSTA CANADA - 250 Rowntree Dairy Rd, Vaughan, ON L4L 9J7 – Susan Kershaw (wife of Herb Kershaw who just received his lung transplant this past weekend) and her coworkers had a fund raiser for our transplant program. Dr. T. Waddell will be on hand to accept the cheque and give a presentation on lung transplantation. Susan would like to invite any pre or post transplant patients to come and support their program. Park in visitor’s parking and advise the receptionist you are there to see Susan Kershaw. Rowntree Dairy Road is west of Hwy 400 between Hwy 407 and Hwy 7. Rowntree runs west off Weston Road. Info: Susan Kershaw
• National Organ & Tissue Donor Awareness Week April 17 - April 23, 2005 – This week will be a good time for Canadians to remember how they can help one another. One donor can save up to eight lives through organ donation and, save or improve up to 50 lives through corneal, bone, skin and other tissue transplants. Would you like to help promote Organ Donation Awareness as a volunteer for Trillium Gift of Life Network? Volunteer application forms can be accessed from the website at: Gift of Life
• Windsor Organ Transplant Bowl-A-Thon will take place at the Rose Bowl Lanes April 23, 2005. For more information contact George Mcleod at (519) 735-7619.
• Toronto Lung Transplant Civitan Club Golf Tournament – Thursday, May 26, 2005. To raise money for temporary housing for pre-transplant out-of-town patients. Contact Carmine or Anna Foglia (905) 856-2950.
• June 9, 2005 (Thursday) GOLF TOURNAMENT – Mark your calendar! This is a special third-party event in association with the Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation to raise funds for Lung Transplant Research at the Toronto General Hospital. It will be held at the Castlemore Golf & Country Club, Brampton, Ontario with a tee of time of 1PM followed by a dinner at 7pm. Dinner only guests will be most welcome also. To register: Peter Laurence. To dontate prizes and silent auction gifts: Kim Cassar. General info: Merv Sheppard.
• TRILLIUM GIFT OF LIFE NETWORK MEMORIAL SERVICE - FRiday, June 10, 2005 at 7:00 PM – St. Michael’s Cathedral, 65 Bond St., Toronto A “GIFT OF LIFE CEREMONY” SERVICE HONORING ORGAN AND TISSUE DONORS AND THEIR FAMILIES. Mark your calendars and plan to attend this wonderful opportunity to show our thanks and gratitude to our donor families as we honor them.
• Lung Transplant Picnic and BBQ – Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 12noon. Huron Park, Mississauga, ON. Info: Merv Sheppard.
• World Transplant Games, London, Ontario, Canada 2005 July 16th to July 24th, 2005
You can access on-line registration forms and also become a volunteer at the following site: Transplant Games
• Annual Craft and Bake Sale – Thursday, October 20, 2005 – Eaton Lobby (Elizabeth St Entrance) 8:30AM – 5:00PM) – It’s not too early to start working on your projects.
2 - PATIENT UPDATES
PATIENT CARE PAGES – updates
To access patient care pages please log on to:
A new page has been set up by Lisa Mitton for her sister Kristy. Lisa says that Kristy is currently listed for a liver/double lung/pancreas transplant. She is 23 years old and has Cystic Fibrosis. While it is her liver that is in the worst shape, it is felt that it would be benefical to do all organs at once. Any words of encouragement or stories would help her keep a positive attitude.
Bert Barron – CarePage Name: bbingonish
Jim Boone – CarePage Name: jbboone
Carla Borton Carr – CarePage Name: CarlaThunderBay
Dave Dunlop – CarePage Name: davedunlop
Marlene Gomes – CarePage Name: marlenesupdate
Herb Kershaw – CarePage Name: herbk
Kristy Mitton - CarePage Name: KrisMitton
John McNeil – CarePage Name: jnmcneil
Roger Plumb – CarePage Name: RPlumb
Fred Reid – CarePage Name: fredreid
Any patient can have a Care Page and enjoy the benefits completely free of charge.
When you log on you will be able to:
A - Create a CarePage of your own or view someone else's CarePage.
B - Post and receive news updates - concerned family members and friends can access the most recent news about the patient.
C - Post and receive messages - loved ones may leave messages in a non-intrusive manner, regardless of time or geographic location.
D - Share patient information - the personal and secure CarePage contains important contact information, as well as patient room numbers and TGH visiting hours for that patient.
E - Make a donation to the Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation. When you make a contribution to Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation on behalf of the patient, the foundation will send them a card acknowledging your gift (but not the amount). Donations can be flagged for any purpose you wish. For example, to direct your gift to Lung Transplant Research, simply indicate this and the monies will be allocated for that purpose.
3 – PHOTO GALLERY – YOU ARE WELCOME TO VISIT AND BROWSE ANYTIME:
1-1198 Swan St
Ayr ON N0B 1E0
Email: Merv Sheppard
Web: Merv Sheppard
Organ Donation Awareness: Information
Trillium Gift of Life Network: Gift of Life
Canadian Transplant Association: CTA
Organ and Tissue Donation―The Gift of Life―Talk to your family―Your decision can make a difference.
To Support Transplant Research:
Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation
WW 1-404, 399 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M5T 2S8
(Donations can be flagged for any purpose you wish. For example, to direct your gift to Lung Transplant Research, simply indicate this and the monies will be allocated for that purpose).
Join our Campaign
Together We Make Life Better
Make a Donation
This communication is intended for the use of the individual or institution to which it is addressed and may not be distributed, forwarded or disclosed to other unauthorized persons. Patient information contained herein is published with permission and the material may contain other confidential or personal information which may be subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete or destroy the communication. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.<