Thursday, July 13, 2006

My new world

Yesterday I spent the morning receiving hearing aids for both ears. It was quite a technological procedure, with the aids being digitally calibrated for each ear by computer software. Also, they are tracked by a GPS-like system that my speciaist can monitor for problems.

It was an exciting new experience, let me tell you. I never realized how hearing impaired I was until wearing the devices. All of a sudden there were noises and sounds I never knew existed, such as flourscent lights buzzing and birds chirping as if they were sitting on my shoulder. But the most mind boggling experience was at the supermarket. I could overhear conversations of other shoppers and other noise backgrounds that were previously not there.

Hearing aids have come a long way and are almost invisible, and not visible at all from a front view. So if you've been putting off getting your hearing checked, I highly recommend you do it. The resulting enhanced enjoyment of life will be well worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Merv, you have conquered another milestone with getting your hearing aids. Good for you but maybe you will hear too much now LOL
I really enjoy all of your messages, etc. -you are a wiz at it. Keep up the good work.
I am so sad to know about Karen's passing. She was an inspiration to Jake and I and will be missed. Jake met her the first time we were at the hospital after being on the list and we all got along famously. Jake and Victor had many a great conversation.

Thanks again, Take care and hapefully see you at the Christmas Party on Dec. 6/06.

Blessings to you. Lena-Marie