Sunday, April 20, 2008

Today is the six-year anniversary of my lung transplant


Im off to Toronto General Hospital early tomorrow for the six-year assessment of my single left-lung transplant. I will be forever grateful and thankful to all those who made it possible for me to have a second chance at life. I was in end stage repiratory failure due to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis with little hope for the future. I say silent thanks each day for my donor and donor family, for my surgeon Dr. Shaf Keshavjee and his lung transplant team and for the entire staff at Toronto General who were so wonderful to me. I'm also very thankful to the staff of Trillium Gift of Life Network in Ontario for promoting organ donation and coordinating with critical care staff and donor families in our hospitals.

“You Have the Power to Save Lives – Sign Your Donor Card & Tell Your Loved Ones of Your Decision”

Download Donor Cards from Trillium Gift of Life Network

Download Donor Cards from OrganDonor.Gov

Your generosity can save up to eight lives through organ donation and enhance another 50 through tissue donation

2 comments:

Amy Mathers said...

Congrats Merv! How'd you celebrate your anniversary?

Merv Sheppard said...

Hi Amy. It's nice to hear from you and I hope all is well. Thanks for your best wishes. I celebrated my 6-year anniversary by having dinner at my brother's restaurant in Brantford on the way home from TGH. Take care, Merv.